Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, June 1, 2012

A Second Opinion

Talked to another adoption lawyer today. 
Her opinion is similar to the first. 
We don't know how the state will rule,
because no one has challenged this law 
since it was put into affect in April.

We need to file a Petition to Allow Placement, 
along with getting approval from the court for the fees 
that we paid. 
In 2010.
If that were to get approved 
(and she thinks with an affidavit from Lifetime
explaining that we paid fees to them in 2010,
well before this law and that there aren't any new fees with 
this 'match', 
plus them explaining that we had a failed adoption 
placement in March
-also before this stupid law-
that we have a reasonable chance of getting approval). 

Her fees are similar, 
requiring a $3500 retainer, 
with everything billed hourly after that. 
It looks like it could easily still reach $6000 though. 
Also, with Oklahoma's laws in place, 
we need an agency or attorney there.
That drives legal fees up even more. 

It is looking more and more like 
this particular situation is not 
viable for us. 
We are thinking that we will hold
a fundraiser or two, 
and see if we can raise some of the legal fees. 
If this situation doesn't work out,
this money we raise
would go into a money market account
to wait until we move out this state.

Once we do, 
it will get used to fund yet another home study, 
and legal fees. 


No comments:

Post a Comment